Northbridge has long been associated as the hub for bars, nightclubs and restaurants in Perth City, however recent years has seen a rejuvenation of the area and emergence of family friendly events. As mentioned in our previous blog on the Perth Cultural Centre, there is plenty to do in Northbridge.
In Northbridge Piazza, this summer there are a variety of events covering culture and the arts. Here are 5 FREE things happening that we think are worth checking out:
- Carnival Macabre is a nod to the celebrations of All Hallows Eve (Halloween) and the Mexican Day of the Dead festival. Northbridge will be transformed into a freakishly ghouly destination and will feature the following:
- Film screenings for Carnival Macabre including cult classics such as Beetlejuice and the Shining, the best of Mexican horror for the Viva Mexican Film Festival and a classic screening of a vampire movie by Rooftop movies.
- Local bars and clubs will be hosting a variety of Halloween themed parties, from the Library Nightclub to Connections, there will be a party for everyone.
- The Mexican Day of the Dead will begin with a family friendly celebration at Northbridge Piazza, with the screening of animated feature films, performances by Mexican dancers and of course a variety of Mexican food vendors.
- Zombie Masquerade Ball: a free night for the whole family to dress as freakish ghouls, and receive free dance classes! Carnival Macabre kicks off Wednesday 28 October and runs until Sunday 1 November. For the full program of events, visit the Perth City website.
- Piazzarama is a free monthly, family friendly event that takes place on Northbridge Piazza on the first Sunday of each month. The day offers free entertainment for the kids including activities, feature films and roving performers. This Sunday will be dedicated to Carnival Macabre, and the next event will be dedicated to the Festival of Christmas on 6 December and runs from 12-4 PM.
- Get City Fit runs over the summer season from October to April and offers a series of free weekly fitness classes on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday in Northbridge Piazza. Offering classes from yoga to cross-fit, there is something for all levels of fitness. The Perth City website contains the full list of classes, times and locations.
- Film Season: Date Night Wednesday’s is exactly as the title says it is. Screening the best romantic feature films each Wednesday at Northbridge Piazza at 8:30 PM. Running from October until the end of December, Date Night Wednesdays provides a perfect opportunity to snuggle up to your loved one, after enjoying a nice meal out on the town.
- Northbridge Piazza Sunday Sounds has been running since 27 September and definitely provides a more chilled-out and relaxing vibe. Held on each last Sunday of the month from 4-7 PM, the last session will be held on Sunday 29 November and will feature live performances from the Swinging Gypsies in the genre of jazz and soul and Motown classics from Summer Groove.
Northbridge Piazza is only a 20-minute walk from Mountway Holiday Apartments and can also be accessed by catching the Blue CAT bus from the City. For guests staying at Mountway, be sure to take advantage of these free events. For more information on getting to Northbridge and other attractions, feel free to ask any of our friendly staff on reception.
What an exciting schedule of events and that is only the beginning! Over the summer there will be much more happening, including the much anticipated Perth Fringe Festival and Perth International Arts Festival and we will have more on that later, so watch this space!